Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Easy Mosaics for Beginners


Mosaics can be so easy and fun. You can make them out of just about any kind of material that you can find. Kids will love doing mosaics because they will have a blast exploring all the possibilities that can go into each project. 

Use your imagination to make your mosaic as original as you want it. Use twigs, stones, seashells, Lego pieces, glass, tiles, beads... the list can go on and on. The key is to have fun with it and let the ideas flow.

I used stuff that I found at the dollar store to make my pictures. I had a bunch of stuff left over too. 
What I used:
Beads
Glue
Seashells
Paint
Cardboard Frame
Burnt Matches

I save my matches after I light a candle because I just know that I will use them for a cool art project one day. :)  They came in quite handy for this project. 

If you would like to watch my video so you can see how I made these really cool pictures, click the link below. I explain it step by step as I make both of my pictures. 



Now let me explain how I made my seashell picture using photos from my video.
Here is the painting that inspired me to make my 2 mosaic pictures. I wanted the two pictures to go along with this painting and I wanted to integrate real seashells into the pictures because the painting has real seashells too. I loved that idea! It gives the painting such texture and a real life feel. I knew that mosaic pictures would go perfectly with it.  

The first thing that I did was to paint my cardboard frame with acrylic paint. You can use whatever paint that you have or you can leave the cardboard unpainted if you would like. In my world, there is no right or wrong way to do a mosaic. :)

The internet is a beautiful tool to get your imagination flowing. I knew I wanted to make one of my pictures a seashell but I was not sure of the shape I wanted it. So I simply looked up seashell pictures so I could pick the style I wanted.

I decided that I wanted to make a clam shell. I wanted to use my real seashells at the bottom sides of my mosaic clam shell. I placed my shells on the picture where I wanted them and then I drew the rest of the picture free hand with a pencil until I thought the shell design looked centered. 

I start by gluing one small section. Then I placed my beads on the glue. Next, I glue another small section and then I placed my burnt matches on the glue. It makes it super easy if you work in small sections at a time. 

This is what it looks like with the beads and match sticks glued on. The last thing that I do is glue the seashells onto both sides of the bottom of the shell design. The Tacky Glue will dry clear. I had to touch up the paint on my cardboard because I got a little messy but that was very easy to do after I was done. LOL

Here is what my finished seashell looks like.

I did the same process for making my seahorse. If you would like to see me make my seahorse, I have it in my video. I love how both of my pictures turned out. 
Watch the video:
http://youtu.be/Q7veOc05UDQ

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. Here are some links to my other pages if you are interested in more of my creative tutorials. We love to share with each other on our Facebook page if you are interested in visiting us there too. 
Have a beautiful day!!!

Subscribe to our Youtube channel. 
Links to more of our crafts:




I thought these two pictures might work good for Pinterest. :) 






No comments:

Post a Comment